[thelist] Powerpoint on the web?

Scott Schrantz scotts at rci-nv.com
Wed Jan 30 17:12:00 CST 2002

	To me, it's never seemed like just converting the slides to .jpgs
and wrapping HTML around them was enough. A lot of what's in PPT slides are
text and bulleted lists, which could be removed and put into the HTML. Then
whatever images are in each slide could be extracted, turned to .jpgs, and
interspersed in the text at the right places. So, you'd basically take the
PPT and the source images, and build a web page from scratch. The whole
"slide" mindset doesn't convert well to the web, a land of
as-long-as-they-need-to-be documents.
	Plus, you only get the slides that way, but you lose out on the
context that the presenter provides. Most PPT slide shows are given with a
speaker at the head of the room, giving a lecture and using the slides to
illustrate. Removing the slides and putting them on the web loses that
context and only provides the audience with the weakest part of the
presentation. So, in a case like that, the best solution would be to have
the presenter write an article on the topic, and then take the figures from
the slides and intersperse them in the text as needed. That way the web
audience will get the same information as the live audience did. Any other
form of "repurposing" gives the web audience the short end of the stick.

	Or, if all that doesn't apply, you could optimize all the slides as
far as they'll go, and make small thumbnails. Then you could build an HTML
page to display the thumbnails with a link to the full-size slide.

Either way.