[thelist] Email Blocking

Michael Pemberton pemberton_m at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 30 17:16:01 CST 2002

>From: "James S. Huggins (Evolt)" <Evolt at ZName.com>
>Subject: [thelist] Email Blocking
>Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 01:04:59 -0600
>
>A couple questions:
>
>1) Am I understanding correctly? Or do I just have this confused?
It, unfortunately, sounds all too likely that this is what has happened.
ISPs are becomeing paranoid about the cost of traffic caused by SPAM.  They
figure that the cost of pissing off a few users who know what they are
doing, is less than the overheads caused by the generated traffic.

>2) Is this becoming more common? Is it a problem?

I haven't come across this with smpt services yet with my ISP, however they
do stop you sending unless you are connected through one of their IP
addresses.  This causes problems for those of us who may have more than one
dialup account but only want to configure one mail server.

I have, however, been the victim of my ISP's paranoia regarding Code Red and
other IIS releated problems.  They now block all inbound traffic on port 80.
  I got around this by using a dyndns service that will forward all port 80
requests to a nonstandard port.

>3) Are there solutions?

There are a few options I have seen used.

Some free mail servers allow for using al alternative port for smtp, for
example 2525 instead of 25.  This would get around the port blocking
problem.

Another is to use a port to forward to your smtp server.  For example,
forward port 26 -> 25 and you again are getting around your ISP blocking.