[thelist] Compatibility between Mac, Linux, XP

Daniel E. Boen dan at the-plate.com
Thu Jan 31 12:22:09 CST 2002

Jon1/31/02 12:04 PMjon at kickinsites.com

> Sorry for the previous message with the messed up subject line.
>
> Hi Everybody,
>
> Until this point I have had small Clients and have been ftp'ing web site
> files to their web host's servers.
>
> Now I have a Client who wants the files delivered on CD's. He has a Linux
> server running Apache and an XP running MS IIS as Intranet Web Servers. I
> have a Mac that I do my work on.
>
> For this job he is looking at a simple Splash page done with Flash (I know -
> and agree -with a lot of the arguments against "useless" Splash pages but he
> has made his decision) and future HTML, etc. pages.
>
> Are there any compatibility issues involved with building the various files
> on the Mac, burning a CD and loading them on to his Servers? If so what
> options do I have to overcome those issues?

There should not be any issues with the files or the CD at all, but you
might want to talk to the IT person (if different from who you're currently
talking to) and make sure the files will transfer.  If there is no decent
answer, then just burn them a CD with some stuff onnit and see if it works.

BTW, my opinion on the splash page is that if the client wants it, then it
is very useful, because they get satisfaction from it.  And there is plenty
to be said for a well designed splash page - it makes the web that much less
dour.

Daniel Boen
ThePlate
http://the-plate.com