[thelist] FYI: New Flash Player developer-only public beta

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Fri Feb 1 16:20:01 CST 2002

Hi, this message is for all Flash developers, anyone who has already made
sites out there with SWF files. Please test your sites in an early version
of the new Player, to make sure they work exactly the same as they did
before.

Here's the FAQ... click on the upper "beta" link to download:
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashplayer/public_beta/faq/

It's very important that you download this now, and make sure that your
existing sites work the same. I'm pretty confident they will, but if
there's *any* change you need to alert the team *immediately*:
http://www.macromedia.com/bin/fp6betafeedback.cgi

In the off-chance that you do notice a difference, please consider fixing
your site now, before the general public gets the new player. We work hard
for backwards-compatibility but can't guarantee that all existing sites
will work exactly the same. (Example: Some JavaScript detection routines
fail on each new cycle... if you used deprecated syntax or very tricky
handlings then we may not be able to accommodate it, etc.)

Just test your work, let us know if you see anything different, thanks!!

Non-Disclosure Agreements remain in effect... I and others can't discuss
anything beyond what is published on the Macromedia site itself.

Also, please try to discourage the general public from downloading this
developer release... doesn't do them any good at all, and they'd only have
to download another version once it's finalized. This Developer Release
Public Beta is really for widespread developer testing before we actually
do go live to the world.

Thanks!

jd