[thelist] Action Script Help Please

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Feb 1 23:35:01 CST 2002

>LoadVariablesNum("textfile.txt",0);
>
>//now I have a variable called movie that might equal something like
>//myMovie.swf
>
>LoadMovie(movie,theTarget);
>
>does anybody know why this doesn't work?  TRUST ME, it is not a timing
>issue.  For some reason, flash, no matter what I have tried, tries to
>LoadMovie before it has the variable movie and errors out.

You should have some control structure in your movie that prevents
the loadMovie() unless the values of movie and theTarget are defined
(like the code I posted yesterday) ... do this and it will be
impossible for the loadMovie() action to fire until the variables are
loaded.

Other than that, reasons your variables seem not to be loading:

- the format of your .txt file is invalid.
- you're using a reserved word as a variable or instance name.
- if all this is going on inside a movieclip or on a _level other than 0.

Please post all the code of every frame involved as well as the
content of your external data file, and I'm sure someone here will be
able to tell you why it's not working.

Or send me the source files off-list.

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272