[thelist] Re: CMS in ASP

Jason Whitman jason at bigfatsite.com
Fri Feb 1 23:51:00 CST 2002

>I've got a client who wants to put lecture transcripts online. 10
>lectures total, with each transcript being 3 - 6 typed single-spaced
>pages.
>
>Currently, their site is done in ASP with an Access backend running on
>IIS5, and it does *not* have an existing search engine of any kind. What
>they (and I) would like to do is make the transcripts searchable.
>
>My question is this: what's the best way to do that? Would it be easier
>(programmatically speaking) if I put the content into a database and
>performed the search via SQL, or leave it in static files and parse
>through them with the FSO? What's the best way to go about this?
>
>Thanks in advance, eVolters!

>-Ken Kogler

If you had SQL Server 7 or 2000, I would say to use the full-text index
capability, which works really well.

A good alternative is to store the content in Access, pull it out with ASP,
then have a free search tool do the work for you.

Atomz (www.atomz.com) is great and gives you all the control - you can set
schedules for indexing, set include/exclude rules and create a custom
results
page, among other things.  It's a good product for being free.

Index server is always an option, but it might be more trouble than it's
worth.

J-dub