[thelist] trojan

Sharon F. Malone sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
Sat Feb 2 04:21:01 CST 2002

On Friday, February 01, 2002 10:29 AM Ed Shuck wrote:

> I am about to drop my $40 on McAfee.  If I should be going somewhere else,
> please tell me why.

Ed, I've used McAfee's services for over 2 years and this is the first time I've had a problem. As far as I can recall, I had downloaded the latest update before I inadvertently opened the Myparty trojan. (McAfee automatically sends you a popup window saying something to the effect that "it's time for a new update; have at it". Very convenient.

I can't explain why two full scans did not detect it. I've emailed McAfee's tech support explaining the problem and am waiting to hear.

I have since deleted the REGCTRL.EXE file which it generated just by doing a Search, Find, and simple delete. I'd like to see what McAfee recommends I do now since, from what I'm reading, it may still be in my Registry and I don't have enough experience/confidence to touch it without explicit instructions on how to go about doing that.

Don't know what to tell you.

Sharon

Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com