[thelist] Fortune in Linux

Ritwik Patra patra at vsnl.com
Sat Feb 2 22:48:01 CST 2002

Dear Anthony,

On 2 Feb 2002 at 17:27, Anthony Baratta wrote:

> If you are using bash:
>
> echo
> if [ -f /usr/games/fortune ]; then
>          /usr/games/fortune
> fi
> echo
Let me try it in my linux box. Many thnks for your kind help.

> Which language do you want to do this in? I think you might be able to do
> it with SSI, but you'll better luck with Perl or PHP, IMHO.
We are using using PHP4 for our INTRANET and using nuke for the basic
purposes. We can do things:

i) Adding a script in the home page (generated by nuke), like using a
script in the place of banner 9right now disabled) or
ii) having a link like "Quote of the day" and creating a separate
page.

Can you please give some clues how to make such script.

Thanks again.

Ritwik Patra