[thelist] New Design Firm

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Sun Feb 3 16:04:01 CST 2002

On 3 Feb 2001 at 14:21, John D Bloise wrote:

> Advice from all is very much appreciated.
>
> I and a few wonderful friends are putting together a design firm.
> We're new to starting a new business.
>
> We realize that there is a procedure to starting a business. There
> will be at the most, 4 of us. Suggestions on the type of business
> (liscense?) we need to get? I've been told that getting a "doing
> business as", would be the way to go. Thanks to all.
>
> Jack
> --

There certainly is a "Procedure" for starting your own business, and the rules
vary from City to State to County to Country to Continent. Guessing that you
are in North Carolina, go to your city web pages and get the phone numbers
and any other information they have for setting up a local business, as well
as your State and Federal Govt. pages to comply with their rules also. There
are many types of companies, from Sole Proprietorships to Multinational
Corporations and yours is somewhere in between. Impossible to recommend
a category for you without a lot more information. A CPA and a Lawyer is a
good thing to have when you are starting your own business, there are lots
and lots of little details that need to be taken care of to keep you out of
trouble.
Don't re-invent the wheel, check out some reading material relating to small
business, especially as it pertains to your local area. Do your homework,
create a business plan, get that lawyer to sort out who owns what in writing,
and the CPA to decide what kind of company you are, and by then you will
have your answer to the type of "license" you need.

HTH, and good luck!

			Mark Groen

MG Web Services
Web Site Hosting and Development