[thelist] New Design Firm

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Mon Feb 4 00:44:01 CST 2002

Hi,
This site helped me a lot recently:
http://www.nolo.com/lawcenter/faqs/index.cfm/catID/19B45DBF-E85F-4A3D-950E3E
07E32851A7

We opted for a LLC, which is pretty flexible, protects your assets, and is
cheap to set-up.
Make sure you have some money on the side before you start. One difference
between freelance, and a company (co)owner is that as company (co)owner you
get paid last. Any advances customers might pay will go up in bills and
start-up costs, so you only start earning when the company starts making a
profit, which if you're lucky is 6 to 12 months from now.

Make a (realistic) business-plan.
Don't skimp on the layer-costs. (Don't try to do it all yourself)

Trust is of the utmost importance between partners. If someone laughingly
tells you how they charged a customer $2000 for 10 minutes work, don't work
with them.

Cheers,
Richard.