"Features" of WinXP (was: Re: [thelist] January stats for evolt.org)

Michael Pemberton mpember at phreaker.net
Mon Feb 4 05:55:00 CST 2002

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com wrote:

>(1st thing I did with XP was turn off the Tellytubbies skin).

Same here :)

>For XP Home users who've been on Win9x/ME, it's like a different world.

I get the feeling that this is basically what they were trying to get
finished to release as "Millenium Edition" and just took 2 years longer
than they planned.

<tip type="Uninstalling hidden Win2k / XP packages" author="Michael Pemberton">
In recently installing XP on a PC in my house, I found it annoying that there was no option shown to remove the MSN Messenger.

It is possible to enable all those hidden entries that should be in the Windows Add/Remove Components section.

  - Find the file named "sysoc.inf" in the windows\inf folder (winnt\inf in 2k).
  - Open this file in your favourite text editor.
  - Locate any lines that contain the word "hide".
  - Removing this word from the line will make them appear next time
    you open the Add/Remove Windows Components screen.

</tip>
--
Michael Pemberton
mpember at phreaker.net