[thelist] New Design Firm

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Mon Feb 4 07:12:01 CST 2002

Technically, commercially or what?

I work solo, as a freelancer (http://www.boldfish.co.uk)
and as part of a team made up of freelancers and a ltd company
(http://www.xebit.net)

As a self employed freelancer I have flexibility and fear in equal
proportion.

Working as a team means we don't incur overhead between projects.

One freelancer takes the lead on the project and sub contracts the others on
fixed price contracts. - the customer sees one company not four, but gets
the cost effectiveness of freelance workers.

It takes some managing, I'm not sure it's as acceptable to clients as it
should be, but we like it.

I'm sure lot's of people will now step forward and explain why it's a bad
idea from a tax point of view or somesuch.  I wait with interest......

HTH