[thelist] allowing users to use FTP to download a client's executable from their web site

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at curf.edu
Mon Feb 4 12:01:01 CST 2002

If you set up a specific user account on your FTP with the correct
permissions, you can like to it via HTML thusly:

ftp://username:password@ftp.whatever.com/

That way, even if the user gets the username/password from his browser
history (or someone else does), it's still got the correct permissions,
and he can't poke around your FTP server.

As far as setting up an anonymous account, you'd still link to it in the
above manner, just leave off "username:password@". Check you FTP
server's documentation to find out how to set up anonymous access and
limit it to just the folders you need (as opposed to the whole
website!).

-Ken Kogler