[thelist] MySQL database optimis(z)ation

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Feb 4 13:22:01 CST 2002

matt, what a gorgeous explanation of generic structures

sincerely

> which explains why rudy wasn't immediately familiar with it:
> he's never had to be at the mercy of a DBA

on the contrary, i started out as one, but then went into design, and from
that point on they had me by the short and curlies

i fell in love with your examples (CATNAME, ICQNUMBER, AIMNAME) because
they seemed to be adapted from the examples i always used in explaining the
tables i designed two years ago to support evolt's member page data

those tables are still there, waiting for the member pages project

[kicking myself for not being more proactive on that project]

if i came across as unfamiliar with generic structures in my reply to kris,
then i have some more work to do it improving my writing abilities

my battles with DBAs notwithstanding -- and i've had plenty of them -- your
examples were still very illuminating

rudy

p.s.

i believe -- no, scratch that, i know, i gots it right here in my mail
folder -- that i said "it's hard to see how it works (i *think* i finally
got it)"

what i meant was, i looked at it to see that it fit the generic model

i've seen attempts at generic structures that failed, so it's not always
the easiest thing for people to get right, and in a way that it doesn't bog
things down (semantically and in performance)