[thelist] allowing users to use FTP to download a client's executable from their web site

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 4 14:06:01 CST 2002

> From: "Sharon F. Malone" <sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com>
[...]
> "We need to be able to have folks download the installation from our
> site. (I think it's FTP capability since that's what 2 folks have
> phrased it.)  How do we do this?  The reason is that for some folks,
> they cannot receive large files."
>
> My initial reaction was shock. Wouldn't this entail giving users
> permission to go into our server and take any files they wanted? Or,
> is this a function that can be done using Anonymous FTP (which I'm not
> familiar with)?

is this download only?  or upload, too?

if download only, just create a page with links to the files... it
sounds like people were resisting getting the large files in email
and just wanted a way to get them when they actually wanted
them...

if upload, too, then consider an HTTP upload tool that allows you to
control what comes up and where it goes...