[thelist] known strings for cgi.http_user_agent

Michael Efford efford at iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 4 23:00:00 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "rudy" <r937 at interlog.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 12:43 PM
Subject: Re: [thelist] known strings for cgi.http_user_agent

> >any thoughts on an elegant way to do this would be useful :)
>
> hi michael
>
> you said this was for some kind of hit counter?
>
> don't analyze the user agent string while serving up the page
>
> just log it, and analyze later

Thats what I am doing, the logging works fine, its the "analyse later" part
I am having difficulty with  :)

In the code I mentioned before, the #browser# variable equals the
#cgi.http_user_agent# string.
I am trying to output the results into meaningful groups and class browsers
broadly based on type and version number, without going into too much
detail.  I have got the major browsers done, and I guess I can just keep
adding to my <cfif> code each time a new browser type pops up.. at the
moment, the less known browsers get grouped into an "Other" category, which
may do for now.

Thanks for your help,

: : m i c h a e l  e f f o r d
: : s o d a : : http://internet.design.curtin.edu.au/soda