[thelist] CMS in ASP

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 5 01:03:01 CST 2002

> From: Joel Canfield <Joel at spinhead.com>
>
> But, back to the subject line: is it feasible for a sane person to
> create a home-grown CMS to meet the current modest needs, and then
> grow it into a more robust tool, or is it a foregone conclusion that
> 18 months from now we'll be spending $40,000 - $100,000US on a CMS
> package?

it's feasible, but you'll find as you keep expanding it for clients or
building one-off changes, that it'll get beyond your control without a
clear plan of attack and solid process...  trying to support multiple
users all asking for different things under one code-base will make
you go nutty if you aren't ready for it...  supporting something like
that can kill an organization...

IOW, if you are going to build one, architect it up-front for where
you want it to be... shoot for the moon so you don't paint yourself
into a corner (mixed metaphor intended)...

as for price point, nah, you won't be paying that much... the CMS
we offer at my company (hint) is well below that...  the market's
going to come down overall, unless you're going for one of those
very specific high-end ones... martin can address some of the
super-high-end ones since he's had more experience implementing
them...