[thelist] Re: Why code for standards

Bev Corwin bev at enso-company.com
Tue Feb 5 08:41:08 CST 2002

My comments follow:
----- Original Message -----
From: <Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 6:34 AM
Subject: Re: [thelist] Re: Why code for standards

> No one's motives are pure. Doesn't matter if the group is 5 BigCo's or 500
> SmallCo's or 1000 students. Everyone brings their own agenda to the table.
> And claiming to be acting for the good of all is the height of arrogance,
> because implicit in that claim is that the claimant knows what's best for
> everyone.

So you are asuming the standards orgs are claiming to know whats best for
everyone,  I agree, it is the height of arrogance,  especially when they do
not communicate with a diverse demographic,  and therefore,  cannot possibly
serve "everyone".

> To take this discussion out of the abstract "Money is Evil" realm it's in
> right now, I'd be interested in knowing what kind of things a student or a
> SmallCo would contribute that a university (not a few uni's in the W3C,
> which *is* the subject of discussion, after all) or a research lab such as
> CERN are not contributing. Nothing abstract, please, just a single
concrete
> example.

Your assumptions are interesting and amusing.  In my experience,  from the
small businesses I work with,  I have found many business owners,  and small
businesses to have far more time that your typical corporate employee.  They
often have flexibility in their schedules that the corporate world does not
offer... and in addition,  they tend to be more stable, with fewer layoffs,
etc.  Your assumptions prove your ignorance and prejudice.

Bev