[thelist] Re: Why code for standards

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Tue Feb 5 14:23:00 CST 2002

>> See, this is our disconnect. I don't see how one million people sitting
>> around a figurative cyber-table can possibly get anything done.
>
>I'm not saying they need "more" people... just a better, diverse
>"representation".  I don't think its possible with their current policies.

But lowering the entry fee makes it certain more folks will join. No one
who's currently there will leave (at least of their own free will, you'll
have to decide who gets excluded) so it'll *have* to grow.

As for diversity, just among the first page and a half of the list I found
five companies with less than 50 employees (one had four). Assuming someone
with more time and patience than I were to more systematically attack the
task, I suspect we might find there's a considerable number of small
companies on the W3C membership list. What I *have* found is ample proof
that they haven't *excluded* small companies, because there are small
companies who are members, so there *are* some representatives on the W3C
from small business. Since there are, we only have left to dispute whether
there is *enough*. I expect there isn't enough to satisfy you, and since I
was prepared to accept zero with equanimity, you may safely assume there is
enough to satisfy me. And on that particular issue, we'll have to agree to
disagree, I'm afraid.

>I don't see how including good, professional, and experienced people will
>hurt this process.

I don't see how you can set up a policy that will ensure you will get only
(or even preponderately) these people, without also being vulnerable to
your charge of exclusivity.

>I tend to think that an organization,  if well designed,  will
>successfully manage any number of good members.

Then you are far more optimistic than I. (Or perhaps not. I note you
qualify that they need to be "good" members. Yes, I think a huge
organization composed exclusively of "good" members --providing I get to
define "good" -- can achieve many things. I just don't think it's at all
rational to expect to create or maintain such an organization.) I remain
surprised that the W3C (or the IETF, for that matter) achieves anything at
all.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224