[thelist] Pop under script --

Keith cache at dowebs.com
Tue Feb 5 15:20:01 CST 2002

> I know you are going to hate me for asking
> does any have a good pop-under script handy ---

Malcolm, there is no such thing as a *good* pop-under script, just
bad ones :-)

I'm assuming you have a client who is holding a gun to your head on
this, so, only in the interest of saving you from certain death:

Just use your favorite pop-up script and be sure to assign the
window.open to a variable, then blur the variable, like so

dumb_idea=window.open(url,title,attributes)
dumb_idea.window.blur()

OK, now that they've put the gun away, hopefully you can talk them
out of it. Ask them why they want to do it.

1) they want the pop-under to remain in the background so that the
user is unaware of it until after they have decided to quit browsing
and have therefore closed the main browser. This sounds like a
real smart time to offer a "click here to continue doing what you just
decided to not do"

2) they know only too well that people will kill that pop-up ad before
it gets loaded, if they can get to it while it's loading. So maybe it
makes sense to force the visitor to do more work just to kill it?

If looking at their own motives doesn't bring them to their senses,
have them consider this. Orbitz.com is one of the worst offenders,
their pop-under ads are popping under all sorts of corporate
websites these days, but on their own site, orbitz.com, they do not
use them, they use a pop-up instead. I guess they don't mind
insulting people on other sites, they just know better than to do it on
their own.

How about the url to this misbegotten site so we can all avoid it :-)

cheers

keith