[thelist] Re: Proposal - New Specific List

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Tue Feb 5 16:23:00 CST 2002

>I think that's actually a great idea. There are some subjects (browser
>standards being one of them) that generate messages for days that are
>replies to another person's quote, which was in response to a
>third person's
>response to another quote, ad infinitum. There's a gray line between the "I
>need to know this now for the project I'm working on"-type info
>that thelist
>is great for, and the somewhat tiresome (though definitely useful) debates
>that subscribers' mailboxes get flooded with some days, but I'm sure it can
>be delineated.

Wouldn't it be just as good an idea to take the debate off the list and onto
the evolt site as an article?

When it looks like a debate is developing, call a halt, take the salient
points, post an article and use the threaded comments facility to collect
all the points together in one place.

We could then take part, read the results or whatever at our leisure.

I remember the Smart Tags debate taking this route so there is a precendent
set.

What do you guys think?