[thelist] Image Magick, width set by text string

Roger Newbrook roger.newbrook at kmsoftware.com
Wed Feb 6 03:58:01 CST 2002

does anyone know if it is possible to set the width of an image in Image
Magick by inputting a text string?

scenario is that i am working on a backend admin system using Mediasurface
for a site where the client wants to add new sections, I am using Image
Magick to tweak images that are uploaded for articles and that works
brilliantly. The titles of the pages are also images which use a predefined
non standard font and colour. I want the admin type person to be able to
type in the title of the page/section and for Image Magick to generate the
title image automatically, nicely cropped and sized, based on the inputted
text. Should i start off with a very wide image and then crop later
depending on the width of the text?

am i asking too much?

tia

roger