[thelist] form to add to ACT database

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Wed Feb 6 04:05:00 CST 2002

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Hi Polina

It's been a good number of years since I used Act (used it from 93 till
about 97 on and off), but at that time, its native format was DBFIII - ie
a flat text db.

Theoretically, it *should* be possible to just append to that text file
using
Perl or whatever, but I'd be very dubious about whether it would play nice
with the db indexing (ie it would mean that the db had more records than
Act knew about). I'm less worried about record concurrency as you're
creating new records, but I would want to be very, very careful over file
locks.

I'd be tempted to just save it to a delimited text file and import that on
a daily basis. Act will import most sensible delimited formats, and I
have a vague recollection of it being able to import Access & Excel
too.

Cheers
Martin

To:   thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject:  [thelist] form to add to ACT database

A client of mine wants to have a contact form on their site map to their
ACT database.

I know nothing about ACT so I need some input. I realize that the big
problem is that the database does not live on their server but is there
some way you guys have found a process that works. I'm thinking of somehow
having the output be in a format that they could import into ACT.

Any ideas on how this could be done?

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems.
computer.