[thelist] Image Magick, width set by text string

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Wed Feb 6 04:23:01 CST 2002

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Hi Roger

If you can generate the image with the text in, ImageMagick can tell you
how
wide the resulting image is.

I've used it on my dropbox:

I can just ftp a bunch of images in and I've a Perl script which reads the
file list,
sorts it by date, throws each one at ImageMagick, gets the dimensions back
and
builds an appropriate image tag.

Cheers
Martin

To:   "'thelist at lists.evolt.org'" <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Subject:  [thelist] Image Magick, width set by text string

does anyone know if it is possible to set the width of an image in Image
Magick by inputting a text string?

scenario is that i am working on a backend admin system using Mediasurface
for a site where the client wants to add new sections, I am using Image
Magick to tweak images that are uploaded for articles and that works
brilliantly. The titles of the pages are also images which use a predefined
non standard font and colour. I want the admin type person to be able to
type in the title of the page/section and for Image Magick to generate the
title image automatically, nicely cropped and sized, based on the inputted
text. Should i start off with a very wide image and then crop later
depending on the width of the text?

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems.
computer.