[thelist] Re: RE: Re: Proposal - New Specific List

Ben Gustafson Ben_Gustafson at lionbridge.com
Wed Feb 6 08:11:01 CST 2002

> Wouldn't it be just as good an idea to take the debate off
> the list and onto the evolt site as an article?
>
> When it looks like a debate is developing, call a halt, take
> the salient points, post an article and use the threaded comments
> facility to collect all the points together in one place.
>
> We could then take part, read the results or whatever at our leisure.
>
> I remember the Smart Tags debate taking this route so there is a
> precedent set.
>
> What do you guys think?

Either having a discussion forum or another e-mail list for debates would be
a very good thing. It's not just the recent debate about Standards
organizations that shows the need for this resource; there were the Smart
Tags and browser standards and MSN browser support issues before that which
also had the e-mails flying for days. If someone on thelist says something
like, "Take it to thedebate" (which would be the name of the e-mail list or
discussion forum), then the thread would need to be continued there. Sounds
good?

--Ben