[thelist] Re: Trojans & Anti-Virus

Vic Wooten vicwooten at eaglewebservices.com
Wed Feb 6 09:29:00 CST 2002

Interesting.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dayn Riegel @ NYAD, Inc." <kichigai at jointhe.net>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 10:18 AM
Subject: [thelist] Re: Trojans & Anti-Virus

> I saw a few posts about trojans and what not and people talking
> about Symantec (don't get me started) and McAfee...
>
> I'm a firm believer in McAfee in that they have never let me down.
>
> Now for a brief exception/disclaimer:
>
> Check out: http://housecall.antivirus.com/ and try their free online
> virus checker.
>
> Odd thing here -- I had just dl'd the latest DAT's from McAfee,
> ran my AVS and nothing was found. I then when to the above link,
> did their online AVS and it *did* find some things.
>
> So I run both now. McAfee once or twice a week depending on the
> number of .loc, et. al. attachments I rec in spam. I then run the
> housecall once a month, more if I just remember.

What you are telling us (as I read this!) is that, "McAfee has never let you
down", but that it did let you down, because you had to use an online
(after-the-fact) scanner to discover the virus that your "never let you
down", McAfee virus scanner didn't discover to begin with. ????

Please bear in mind that I have some reasonable respect for the online
Housecall scanner, and in fact, do recommend it at one of my websites....for
those who do not have adequate, and up-to-date AV software. However, I would
strongly emphasize the fact that "if" you had had "adequate", and up-to-date
AV software to begin with, you would never have had to use a second
party...after-the-fact, online scanner to catch a virus that your (hopefully
paid for, and up-to-date!) virus scanner missed!

I will also add to this RE the fact that some listees have lambasted MS OE,
and Outlook, and boths vulnerabilities to "some" exploits in this area.
Anyone using either of these email clients would be well advised to patch
their Windows system accordingly!

Furthermore, as at least one listee pointed out, "reckless" clicking on
"any" file attachment (from any source!), can be disasterous!

"If" the patches are applied via Windows updates, and if the OE/Outlook
users observe sane, and proper precautions, AV software is not even
necessary!

"Most" viruses require the user to "execute" a file by clicking on it.
Embedded files that execute upon reading the email are extremely rare! The
ones at present that do exist (as far as I know now!), will not do anything
as long as the MS patches have been applied.

Of course...as it has been pointed out, "some" other email clients are not
susceptible to these particular viruses anyway. I wonder about that!

I "still" go with my Norton Antivirus!!

Vic