[thelist] macIE5 and css overflow property

Sam sam at sam-i-am.com
Wed Feb 6 13:53:01 CST 2002

came across a weird thing in Mac IE5.1 (and 5.0)

some background: you can make a fixed size div scrollable by setting the
overflow property thus: <div style="width: 100px; height: 100px;
overflow: auto">

but in Mac IE5.1 I find that I'm getting a horizontal scrollbar as well
as the vertical one. And on closer inspection it's actually clipping the
content. Basically it doesn't reflow the div contents to take into
account the scrollbars, so the right and bottom edges get hidden.

But sometimes it works out fine..

try:
http://www.sam-i-am.com/testsuite/css/overflow-auto.html
and
http://www.sam-i-am.com/testsuite/css/overflow-auto-tst.html
reload that last one a few times. Randomized scrollbars :)

I'm trying to pin down the conditions which cause it to work as intended
(c.f the same page in winIE) and what makes it break, and no luck so
far. Anyone else got any insight into this??

Sam