[thelist] Re: Why code for standards

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Wed Feb 6 21:03:01 CST 2002

> I'm not clear on this <tip> thing, but in the spirit of
> standardizing the general "good will"...

hi bev

thanks for the tip and for being willing to write one

the purpose of tips is to "pay" for posts that are not on topic

what's on topic?  we tend to be very inclusive and forgiving   ;o)

your posts were pretty much on topic

here are some rules of thumb --

if you are asking a web development question, no tip is required

if you are answering a web development question, no tip is required

"me too" posts require a tip -- imagine if a thousand subscribers mailed in
a "me too" post!

"thank you" posts require a tip -- which is why they are best sent off
list, unless you want to "publicly" thank someone so that others see how
great this person is, but then a tip is required

"meta" posts require a tip -- posts which deal with posting, like this one

so, let me borrow your tip and use it to write another (sort of a meta tip,
eh?)

no offence, bev, but it's right there, and i would like to comment on it
before it slips my mind completely (and we all know how easy it is for that
to happen) --

<tip type="helping people decide to click">

when publicizing a link, describe what we will see if we follow it

so instead of just "interesting news bits" --

  http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm?CategoryID=105
  http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/

say instead --

   To spec or Not To Spec
   A discussion on the pros and cons of graphic design
   competitions, speculative work, and pro bono work
   http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm?CategoryID=105

   Microsoft ClearType
   An unprecedented innovation in font display technology
   that dramatically improves font display resolution and
   marks a genuine breakthrough in screen readability.
   http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/

it's a little more work for you, but it will save a few minutes of wasted
time for those who might follow the link and be disappointed (and multiply
that by several thousand....)

</tip>

sorry, bev, i didn't mean to pick on you

in fact, i want to thank you again for your "good will"

rudy