[thelist] legitimacy of tips, thoughts please

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 08:27:01 CST 2002

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 14:05:26 -0000
Roger Newbrook <roger.newbrook at kmsoftware.com> wrote:

> For instance, in my current work I am increasingly using the Content
> Management System Mediasurface, and I'm not sure that anyone else on
> the list is.

Good question, but to ease your conscience there are a couple of things
thing to remember...

Dean's Tip Harvester trawls the list and hoovers up all the tips for
posting on evolt.org: (http://lists.evolt.org/index.cfm/a/harvest)

Subsequently, the Tip Harvester and the mail archives are spidered by
google, for example:
(http://www.google.com/search?q=%22tip+author%3D%22garrett+coakley%22%2
2&hl=en&filter=0)

...so there is a bigger potential readership for your tip outside
of thelist. And as a plus if someone finds your tip through google, then
they might just join our happy gang as well.

As djc says, "it's all about community building" *:)

But as always, use your judgement. I've posted a few in my time about
Nedit, which is a fantastic editor for Linux, but I can imagine it's not
something that will be useful to everyone, so I try and err on the side
of 'Big OT posting, big useful tip'.

HTH

G.