[thelist] Confused about what HTML Validation is telling me

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Thu Feb 7 17:18:00 CST 2002

Bob, et al,

>     You only run into a problem if you *need* to specify a language
version
> other than this default, in which case you will need to use the "language"
> attribute *without* the "type" attribute, thus requiring a transitional
dtd.

    Sorry, I just realized that I mistakenly suggested that using the
"language" attribute without the "type" attribute within a script element is
valid transitional HTML. Is isn't. The HTML 4.01 recommendation *requires*
the inclusion of the "type" attribute [1]. So, if you must specify a version
of Javascript other than version 1, you will have to live with the fact that
your document won't validate under the W3C recommendation. Sorry for the
misinformation.

James Aylard

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/scripts.html#adef-type-SCRIPT