[thelist] Backing UP MySQL Databases using PHP &| PERL

Allie Micka allie at pajunas.com
Thu Feb 7 17:36:00 CST 2002

> Hi, I am looking for a simple way to allow a selected few users to run a
> backup of all and/or parts of our MySQL database for our website.

 From the command line, the mysqldump command is what you're looking for.
That command will output all of the required CREATE and INSERT
statements for a given database.

You can use this command in a shell script to automate it on a scheduled
basis, or create a 2-liner web script that makes a system call to the
command and streams the output to the browser.

HTH,
Allie Micka
pajunas interactive, inc.
reusable web components and hosting