[thelist] Interview Questions

Michael Pemberton pemberton_m at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 17:48:01 CST 2002

>From: Kristy Frey <kristenannfrey at yahoo.com>
>Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 13:40:16 -0800 (PST)
>
>Anyone out there have suggestions for questions or techniques to verify
>that someone is truly
>qualified for a web development position during an interview.

In an interview I recently went to, I was asked to interprete a site mockup
and explain how I would go about setting it up.  This was fairly straight
forward and allowed me to explain some of the possibilities made available
my range of skills.

I would be looking for anyone who can come up with more than one solution.
There is a great deal of risk that you may hire someone who fell into the
"correct" answer to your test, but when given a different scenario / budget,
is unable to change their approach.

One thing that I try use as a measure is the use of "buzz" words.  If
someone is only able to talk in buzz and jargon, then more often than not,
they are flying by the seat of their pants and are focused more on keeping
up with future technology than using current technology.

You could try throwing in a scenario to test backward compatability.  Some
web developers are great when it comes to working with css and Dom2, but are
useless if you need to have the code working in NS2.0 and IE3.