[thelist] weird error

BT Bigpant bigpant at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 8 07:27:00 CST 2002

I can see that you, like myself, prefer to write a single, generic pieces of
code. This is always good practice, but there are times when 'simple is
best'. I'm not entirely sure why the script doesn't work first time (it did
focus on refresh IE5.5 win98), but I have encountered similar problems.

You might like to add a more specific line like
onload="document.form[0].username.focus();"

I concure with James that associative elements are safer than numeric ones.

Just looking again through the code, I notice you have a hidden input type
as the first element in the form. You call the putFocus with (0,0). Surely
this is trying to focus on the hidden elements? If this is the case, why
does it work after a refresh. A quote I once read "If you don't know why
something works, it probably doesn't".

HTH
Phil Parker