[thelist] Basic Documentation Questions

Jon jon at kickinsites.com
Fri Feb 8 10:22:00 CST 2002

Hi All,

I just spent a chunk of time reading through the whole "Coding for
Standards" thread and its various spin-offs. There was a great discussion on
"documentation" in the "A Different POV" thread.

Someone (sorry I don't remember who) made the point that there are those
people who taught themselves various web skills, are fairly new to the field
and have never been taught to document their work. I am one of those people.
(Trying not to feel the guilt and shame of having admitted that.) :-) So on
to the questions...

-What types of things should be documented?
-How does one go about documenting? (For example would one use comments
within the code? A separate "documentation document"? Both? Other
alternatives I haven't thought of?)

I guess, in general I am looking for what are "good documenting practices"?

Thanks,
Jon