[thelist] Interview Questions

Webmaster webmaster at archetype-it.com
Fri Feb 8 11:23:01 CST 2002

At 08:59 08/02/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Is that really to much to ask?  Do most shops that produce dynamic web
>content through the use of
>database data employ 2 people to create a dynamic web site (one to do the
>scripting and database
>interaction and the other to do the html)?

Well, we're a 2-person shop, and we do! <g> Seriously, in my experience,
programmers are rarely good at graphic design, and graphic designers are
rarely good at programming. Of course most web designers can do Javascript
etc., but database/web server interactions are a whole different ball game!
I think it's pushing it to expect a web designer to be a whiz at SQL,
database normalization and all the other things that go into server-side
programming. So it makes sense to split tasks in this way. We make it
easier by using a templating system that keeps server-side code and HTML
code separate, so we can work on the same application without interfering
with each other's code.

Veronica Yuill                 email: veronicay at archetype-it.com
Archetype Information Technology Ltd  http://www.archetype-it.com/english/