[thelist] Naming Conventions [was: Documentation]

Webmaster webmaster at archetype-it.com
Mon Feb 11 11:04:00 CST 2002

At 11:52 11/02/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> > All the C and C++ books i read (only 2 or 3, and i never finished 'em!)
> > talked about "Hungarian" notation. I think this referred to the specific
> > set of abbreviations prepended to variable names. The books recommended
> > using this convention, partly as good practice and partly because the
> > Microsoft programmers themselves were supposed to use it to. I don't know
> > any MS employees so i couldn't ask them.
>
>Do you have any examples or locations you could point to that would
>demonstrate this technique?

The book I mentioned earlier (Code Complete) has a whole section on
variable naming conventions, including Hungarian (may be named in honour of
Charles Simonyi, Microsoft coding guru?).

I do highly recommend this book. Don't be put off by the fact that the
examples are in unfashionable programming languages like Ada, Pascal, C,
and even Cobol. The principles are applicable to virtually all programming
languages and it is full of valuable advice, especially for those who
started programming without formal training. Just check out the rave
reviews on Amazon ...

HTH
Veronica Yuill                 email: veronicay at archetype-it.com
Archetype Information Technology Ltd  http://www.archetype-it.com/english/