[thelist] Background is repeating in table cells...bad bad

Andrew Clover and at doxdesk.com
Tue Feb 12 04:13:01 CST 2002

Michael Barrett <mbarrett at triad.rr.com> wrote:

> This is a common Netscape 4.x problem, which I think even occurs when you
> use CSS to specify a background image. Netscape causes each nested table
> cell inherit the background image of the table it's nested in.

Not only that, but it causes each table to inherit the background of the
table cell or div it is itself containing in! Very annoying. A CSS solution
as an alternative to the blank background string is "background-image: none".

Also, if you use 'bgcolor', it'll inherit that too, and unlike background
images there is no way to stop it. Trying to use a blank string in HTML or
some CSS 'background-color: transparent' just gives you black.

Finally, if you use the CSS 'background' shortcut to set a background-image
but don't set a background-color, Netscape will also give you black. So
avoid this shortcut for setting background images!

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com
http://and.doxdesk.com/