[thelist] Stupid Question -- mp3 file in a separate window?

Andrew Clover and at doxdesk.com
Wed Feb 13 09:19:57 CST 2002

Michele Wandrei <michele at inthree.com> wrote:

> I'm working on a page that contains a link to an mp3 file.  When
> I click on that link, the browser takes me to the standard ugly
> gray window with the little Quicktime control in the center.

Reconfigure your setup so that the QuickTime plug-in does not claim MP3s.
Most people will get an open/save dialogue box, or a pop-up media player
window, instead.

Providing a direct link to the MP3, as you have done, is the best thing you
can do. You could try adding an extra pop-up link to an HTML file including
an embedded audio player, but it's going to fail to work for a large
segment of your audience, so you should still leave the direct link there for
accessibility.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com