[thelist] tip - Fwd: [***-d] Usability? Sure. Fine. Whatever.

Louis P Bennett lbenne01 at tufts.edu
Wed Feb 13 09:20:05 CST 2002

This should be indexed by the Tip Archive... (The syntax et al was
there, it's just that CSS-D doesn't get archived.

-louis

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Miriam <miriam at members.evolt.org>
> Date: Wed Feb 13, 2002  07:38:02 AM US/Eastern
> To: css-discuss at westciv.com
> Subject: Re: [css-d] Usability?  Sure.  Fine.  Whatever.
>
> on 2/13/02 1:07 AM, Erica Tesla at erica at procacious.com wrote:
>
>> -snip-
>> everything suggests the styling scrollbars is A Bad Thing(tm), at
>> least given my usability testing...
>> -snip-
>
> -- really big snip --
>> I'm sorry.  I've just really needed to say that ever since the first
>> mention
>> of usability.  Maybe we should leave some of the responsibility for
>> usability in the hands of the users.
>> After all, this really isn't rocket science.
> -- /really big snip --
>
> A hearty +100 to that.

<tip type="usability testing, cheap & friendly" author="Miriam">
Need to test your site but can't afford a lab, let alone NN Group? Sit
your
mom down in front of her computer. Ask her to accomplish a few tasks,
especially with the shopping cart if you have one. Keep an open mind to
her
stumbles. her questions, and her oohs and aaahs. Note where she has
trouble.
Let her play around with the site for a few minutes while you get a
sandwich
and some nice tea for the the both of you.  Ask her to repeat the tasks
now
that she's familiar; note her time, her stumbling blocks, and her
learning
curve. Repeat this with your friends and everyone else you can bribe
with a
sandwich and tea. While this method obviously doesn't replace the skills
and
services brought to you by the pros, you'll find the glaring issues,
that's
for sure.
</tip>

http://quietcity.org/