[thelist] Netscape 6 (Layers Equivalent)

Gerenday, Perry (P.) pgerenda at visteon.com
Wed Feb 13 10:25:41 CST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: gregory.john.toland at census.gov

<snip>
 > In many places I have code like...
 >
 >    if (document.all)
 >    {
 >    }
 >
 >    if ( document.layers)
 >    {
 >    }
 >
 > None of my content now appears in NN6.  Can anyone show me
 > the proper way I
 > should be coding this?
</snip>

Hi Gregory,

The detection method you are using shuts out all the most recent W3C
standards compliant browsers by looking only for proprietary code. I would
continue to detect for  document.all for IE up to 5.0, document.layers for
NN4x, and I would add: if(document.getElementById). Internet Explorer 5.5
and greater, Mozilla, Netscape 6, Opera 4 and greater, and Konqueror (not
sure which versions) are the most popular browsers that use the
getElementById() method.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

<snip>
 > Can anyone point me to a good
 > resource for the DOM
 > model under Netscape 6.  I am looking for what many of you
 > experts use as a guide.
</snip>

Just an expert wanna-be here, but I've been quite amazed my Peter-Paul Koch
lately. I've been recommending the Javascript section of his site at:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html

I'm sure he could answer your question better, but he must be busy right
now.

HTH

Perry Gerenday
www.virtually-artistic.com