[thelist] Flash movie as a rollover

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Wed Feb 13 14:56:00 CST 2002

At 11:35 AM 2/13/2, Michael Galvin wrote:
> So there's a button graphic (standard gif) that
> when rolled over, invokes the SWF file.

Sorry, the browsers don't work that way. They can change the SRC attribute
of an IMG tag pretty easily, but they won't readily write an IMG tag into
an OBJECT/EMBED tag.

However, you might handle this the same way Compaq does their buttons on
the Yahoo site... just use a SWF file which handles its own rollover, no
need for a GIF or ask the browsers to do anything at all.

(NB: The Yahoo site changes its ads quickly... yesterday's front-page FTD
ad isn't there today, and I'm drawing GIFs for the Compaq buttons rather
than its SWFs. Check the Yahoo site at various times and look for their
Compaq sponsor buttons, they often use unobtrusive SWF for this purpose.)

jd