[thelist] is my asp style sloppy?

Bill Lovett bill at ilovett.com
Thu Feb 14 09:45:08 CST 2002

I was reading the article on .NET in New Architect this morning and
was surprised to read this:

      In addition, ASP.Net doesn't let you intermix script
      and HTML. To date, this has been a common practice in
      server-parsed scripting languages, even though it's
      considered sloppy. For example, these statements are
      legal in conventional ASP:

      <%
        if age>18 then
      %>
        <A HREF=adult.asp>Adults</A>
      <%
        end if
      %>

That coding style has always made so much sense to me, how could it be
"sloppy"? Ok, granted, you're ducking in and out of ASP, and that
isn't exactly optimal. But for readability, isn't it easier to
identify "pure" html tags than double quoted, response.write'd tags?
Isn't the separation of ASP from html a good thing like the separation
of structure from content is a good thing?

-bill

<http://www.newarchitectmag.com/documents/s=2412/new1011405445132/index.html>