[thelist] Perl script as root

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 14 11:16:00 CST 2002

Hmm... I didn't have any problem.  Try or verify:

1) That you are the root user: 'su - root'
2) In your system command, supply the full path to ipchains:
   system('/sbin/ipchains', '-n', '-v', '-L');
3) Write a small script with just a call to ipchains to eliminate possible
   side-effects.

If you are running the script as root, you shouldn't need to run the
program as setuid so you won't need a C wrapper or to change the
permissions.

After testing to make sure your program works and if you don't want to
run the script as root, you will need to change the ownership of the
script to root and write a setuid C wrapper around your script.

Dean