[thelist] How to keep text gifts tight in different screen re solutions?

Chris Price chris.price at stl.org
Fri Feb 15 03:06:01 CST 2002

	>The problem:
> I am using .gifs of text w/ backgrounds in a menu system.  They look okay
> at
> high screen resolutions, but get fuzzy as you get down to 800x600.  I have
> tried various programs to generate them (photoshop, illustrator, image
> ready<

	The usual reason for giffs looking bad is them being displayed at
other than their actual size.

	Other than that, if the image has graduated tints it generally looks
better (and smaller file size) as a jpeg unless its a thumbnail in which
case you can turn that rule on its head.

	I love creating giffs, especially when  the image is generated using
web safe colours.

	A client of mine was using a logo (in the signature of his emails)
in .bmp format and it was 62k. I re-worked it in ImageReady and got the file
size down to 2k (and looking good) and you couldn't tell the two images
apart.
	--
	Chris ;-)

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise agreed expressly in writing by a director of
Send the Light Ltd, this communication is to be treated as confidential and
the information in it may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose
for which it has been sent. If you have reason to believe that you are not
the intended recipient of this communication, please contact the sender
immediately. WARNING. Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. The
recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of
viruses. Send the Light Ltd accepts no liability for any damage caused by
any virus transmitted by this e-mail. Employees of Send the Light Ltd are
expressly required not to make any defamatory statements and not to infringe
or authorize any infringement of copyright or any other legal right by
e-mail communications. Any such communication is contrary to company policy
and outside the scope of the employment of the individual concerned. The
company will not accept any liability in respect of such a communication,
and the employee will be personally liable for any damages or other
liability arising.