[thelist] Perl scripts in Mac

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Fri Feb 15 08:19:01 CST 2002

>What do Mac webdevers use for write Perl scripts?  I'm using Simpletext,
and
>Fetch, and one (or both) of these little things are causing 500 Internal
>Errors when uploaded.  I can't tell which but I suspect it's Simpletext
>adding something invisible to the script.

Assuming you're uploading it as text, and the OS of the server you're
running it on is Unix/Linux/Whateverix, you're problem is probably the EOL
characters.

Use an editor (such as BBEdit or Alpha) which can save in Unix text format.
Uploading text from a mac will often garble the text lines (from Unix's
point of view) and that couldbe the root cause of what you're seeing. If it
continues, also try uploading as "binary" rather than "text".

I have similar problems using Anarchie;when I download a perl script, the
first thing I have to do is undo what the oh-so-helpful FTP client does to
the text, in converting it from Unix to Mac EOL's. Anarchie is convinced
that all .pl files *must* be converted to MacPerl files, even if I'm
running OSX. <sigh> (This is not a knock on MacPerl, I used it extensively
before a usable OSX arrived.)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224