[thelist] Dedicated server?

Salvatore Palmisano spalmisano at usashs.com
Fri Feb 15 16:29:01 CST 2002

Hello Faye.  There are lots of options available to you, but here are some
of the basics.

A dedicated connection to the Internet is one where its 'always on',
examples include a cable connection, DSL connection, T1, et cetera.
Cable connections usually come from the local cable company, and the rest
from the telephone company.
(A good place to start DSL research is at http://www.dslreports.com)

We use the following hardware/software setup:
Windows 2000 Servers host each of the machines.
Web server is an IIS 5.0 box, and the database is a separate SQL Server 7.0
box.
The firewall is a separate piece of hardware as well.

All-Microsoft software can get expensive, though.  Apache is a free
webserver (http://www.apache.org/) and MySQL (http://www.mysql.com/) is a
free database server.

These are the basics but there are many many variables left to consider
(Like DNS records, what language to code the site with, et cetera).
If you provide some specifics Im sure you'll get more detailed responses
from the group.
Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

.Salvatore