[thelist] Dedicated server?

Jon Hall jonhall at ozline.net
Fri Feb 15 19:10:01 CST 2002

For the dedicated connection get a T1. Depending on bandwidth needs you are
looking at between $400 and $1000 per month though. Call a local ISP, they
can be tons of help. This is what they do. Most will walk you through router
setup, or set it up for you. Some of the big guys are giving away routers
with T1's these days too.
I'd stay away from dsl or cable if you don't want to worry about the
connection going down, unless you can find a business friendly dsl isp.
Salvatorre answered mentioned the software side of the question, so I wont
repeat that.

Pleae don't take offense, but from the tone of your email, it sounds like
this may the first web server you are administering. If so, I'd strongly
suggest talking to your local ISP/Webhost and see about co-locating with
them. I say local, because I wouldn't feel right having extremely sensitive
data hosted somewhere where I couldn't drive to the colo and physically get
the server if need be. A lot of colos now have lockable server cages now
too, so if your ultra paranoid about it you lock the server away even. Local
ISP's can be a lot cooler about helping you out with software setup, than
the larger businified (new word! :)) co-locaters.
Not to mention co-locating is much cheaper than running your own circuit,
and having to manage your own server for just one web site.

Just grab the phone book and call around...

jon