[thelist] Re: Tip: Variable management

David Shadovitz david_shadovitz at xontech.com
Tue Feb 19 11:47:00 CST 2002

Michael Barrett offered a "Variable management" tip, which I've
excerpted:

"Keeping track of variables for a web based application can be tough.
... [So] create a spreadsheet ... listing all variables ... [with] other
columns categorizing variables by type or function ... [and then you
can] easily copy and paste variable names into the code...no typos!"

Not a bad idea, but this information should be put directly into the
code file, not into an external source.  Keep the metadata as close to
the data as possible.  The maintenance team will praise you.

I'm always behind on evolt mail, so my apologies if I'm repeating an
already-written thought.

-David