[thelist] TIP - Event Bubbling in BRIO 6.5

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Wed Feb 20 17:25:01 CST 2002

Hi Janet,

Golly!  Somebody else who has used Brio!?

Hmmm ... I think 'event bubbling' may be best described through an
example:

[Gosh - I hope I don't screw this up!]    ;-)

Think of the "Container Model" for a moment, (that silly little thing
that lets 'contained' items inherit CSS properties from 'higher level'
entities).  Let's say, for example, that you define an "OnClick" event
for a paragraph "<p>" element and that you define another "OnClick"
event for a bold "<b>" element.

'Event Bubbling' is the term given to the situation where your user
clicks on the bold element, (thus firing the bold's "OnClick"), and the
event "bubbles up" and fires the paragraph's "OnClick" event, (because
the paragraph 'contains' the bold element), without any additional
action by the user.

Here's a better write-up [with clickable examples](and where I stole the
http://www.webreference.com/js/tips/000131.html

Here's a step-by-step report you can build in Brio to see what I'm
complaining about in that product:

http://www.fangsnclaws.com/Brio/brio_tip7.html

'zat help any?

RonL.