[thelist] Client asked for original files.....

Chris Marsh chrism at puffofsmoke.net
Thu Feb 21 06:16:01 CST 2002

Flavia

> I was wondering on how you guys deal with a client (considering you
> outsource to other designers/developers) who asked for the original
> files (PSD, FLA) you created for the job you got from them...
> Is it default that we have to hand the original files to them or not?
> Should I ask for an extra fee for the originals?
> The reason why I am asking is that handing the original files (specially
> FLAs) to a client is like losing a job as the file is pretty
> self-explanatory and one would learn how it was done and do it again by
> oneself instead of hiring for it...
>
> Any tips?

One should not be relying on obfuscation in order to generate work. Customer
satisfaction in this market is paramount, and you will find that there are
enough people out there willing to cut clients' costs in order to ensure
future business that you may struggle to keep clients such as this.

Regards

Chris Marsh